Sunday = Harry the personal trainer day.
As I got to the park there he was waiting for me with a kettle bell and dumb bells in his hands. I’m smiling but I’m not really smiling, if you know what I mean.
Our routines go one week heavy on the weights, one week heavy on the runs. And this was, weights week.
Now as you’ll know, if you’re no stranger to my blog, I’m not wildly keen on Mr Kettle Bell and his pals. Aside from the fact I’m trying not to think about my reputation for clumsiness, coupled with what will happen if I accidentally let go of the kettle bell as it soars above me head, these fellas work your muscles big time.
But, bit of a revelation this week. I could not only do two sets of exercises – I could do three! Harry was bouncing around, cheering my progress while I tried to smile through the wheezing as I recovered from sets. And although it wasn’t easy it didn’t feel impossible.
So this is what I did today.
Five minutes jog round to warm up including skipping along at times:
- squat position with kettle bell. Swinging kettle bell up as high as possible, squeezing glutes at the top of the swing. X20.
- little jumps on the spot x 8 and then big massive jump, knees up x 1 (repeat x 6)
- hold kettle bell in front of chest as far out as possible and rotate through the waist each side (x15)
- little jumps on the spot x 8 and then big massive jump, knees up x 1 (repeat x 5)
- lunge position, clutching hefty dumb bell, dip down left hand x 5, swap hands x 5 (repeat on other leg)
- heavy dumb bell in one hand, light dumb bell in another. Lean over in squat position, but with bum out and straight back. Swing one arm up, twist through waist and swing other arm up. x 10.